20120609

TBS Zero Week - Part 1

Information on my experience so far in Zero Week at The Basic School (TBS), some advice for Marines preparing to report to TBS, and a note on the intensity of the TBS period of instruction (POI).


Zero Week


(click to enlarge)

What is Zero Week?

Zero Week is the two-week period of in-processing that must be completed before officially being picked up by a training company. It consists of a lot of classes—the description "Death by PowerPoint" is well earned—medical qualification, swim qualification, gear issue, payroll setup if necessary, and so on. In addition to getting these administrative matters out of the way, it provides an opportunity for the Marines to adapt to the schedule and the way things work at TBS.

I still have one more week of Zero Week, which will include the initial PFT on Monday and some medical screening, and a whole bunch more classes and briefs.

How is Zero Week Going?

In true DOD fashion, there is a lot of hurry-up-and-wait. We get up "early" every day (On Deck Time, or ODT, is usually 0530), but we may not have anything to do until the afternoon. The experience obviously differs based on which platoon you are in: while my platoon did swim qualification in the afternoon and so spent the morning waiting around, other platoons were on the pool deck before 0700.

Generally speaking, there isn't a lot going on, and you're not allowed to go do much else, especially if it is off Camp Barrett. PT is authorized sometimes, but mostly we have to do that on our own time, not "on the clock." I did get to go for a run with a few other Marines on the trails where the Endurance Course is run, but we didn't run the correct route, which we haven't yet learned.

"Where are the Squad Leaders?"

Charlie Company 3rd Platoon heard that line many times from GySgt Balboa during OCC 209. Thankfully, we don't have anybody screaming it at us here (yet).

When I checked in to Delta Company, I was told I was in 6th platoon and that I am the first squad leader. My guess is that it's simply because my name was at the top of the alphabetical list. Nevertheless, I'll hold this billet all through Zero Week and then carry it on right into the first two weeks of actual training; that means I'll be the squad leader for the first month I'm at TBS. Not something I expected, but, as they say, "Semper Gumby."1

At this point, my duties include ensuring all Marines are present when they need to be ("accountability"), passing along information ("passing word") to the fire team leaders I designated which they pass on to the fire teams I had to assign, supervising AORs (areas of responsibility: for now, just cleaning), and reporting other issues from my squad up the student chain of command. I think it's going well, but we'll see what everybody else thinks come time for me to be evaluated.

Who's the CO?

Quick little story here. On the day I arrived at TBS to check in, I didn't know where to park or where to go. I was here early, so there weren't Marines posted along the roads giving directions. So I pulled into a lot near where I'd checked in immediately after OCS before I left for PTAD. A motorcyclist had just parked in the same lot, so I asked if he knew where to check in. Well, I don't remember exactly how it went, but he looked at me, then down at the parking spot. I followed his gaze and saw CO painted on the asphalt! "Good evening, sir!"

Col. Alford asked me a few questions about when I'd done OCS and how long my wait had been, where I was from, where I went to college, and the degree I earned. He was then kind enough to direct me to the area where I could get checked in and get a room for the night. From the brief encounter, I gathered that he is the kind of CO a Marine likes to have in charge. And boy, if that's not one great way to get some stress out of the way right up front.


The CO's Sweet Ride
(click to enlarge)


Advice for Marines Reporting to TBS

Know who the CO is and what he looks like before you report!

Start your autobiography; you can find the template on the TBS website. Read the Welcome Aboard packet, also available on the TBS website.

If you can get to TBS a week prior to your company picking up, do it. There is plenty to do that will help you get a head start, such as make sure you have enough cammies and they have name tapes, get your POV (personally owned vehicle) registered with the DOD (you'll have to wait for the rest of the company to get your TBS sticker, though), pick up other supplies at the MCX (Marine Corps Exchange) or Cash Sales. You can also get oriented to your surroundings and figure out where roads and trails lead, when which buildings are open, and where you are authorized to park. You may even be able to get your gear issue early.

It is almost guaranteed you will have a few Marines who were recycled from previous training companies who will be your student staff for a while, and they can give you more advice on things to do in advance.


Two and a Half Years of College

One more thing I want to share with you is a quick note about how intense TBS is. During one of our briefs this week, about study skills, we were told that the course of study here is akin to doing 2.5 years of college, and we only have about one semester to do it. I snapped a photo of the slide.


2.5 Years in 27 Weeks
(click to enlarge)


TBS is no game; it is no cake-walk. Bring it on.

1. Semper Gumby - Wikipedia.

2 comments:

  1. BTW, glad your initial meeting with you commanding officer went so well.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the number of spam comments that were being posted, users are now required to be logged in before leaving a comment.