20110316

Medically Qualified! [Updated]

This post discusses the news that I have been approved by DODMERB for military service and looks ahead to the next step—NAMI.

Update: PFT schedule.

Approved!
It was a long hassle to get all my files sent from the eye surgeon who did my PRK (Whitson Vision, Indianapolis) to the Department of Defense Medical Exam Review Board (DODMERB) out in Colorado. And when they finally got all the files they needed, DODMERB experienced a computer server error that either took down their computers for 5 days or possibly just on the two days on which I called, which were 5 days apart. So after nearly two months since I did my examinations, I finally received these texts from my OSO (Officer Selection Officer) around lunchtime today:

I'm super excited about this. It's very exciting not because I was worried that I wouldn't be approved, but just that it was taking so dang long to get it done! I could not proceed with any of the paperwork or planning with my OSO until DODMERB approved me. And they finally did. WHEW! Let's go!


So what's next?
As mentioned in the texts shown above, I received three documents today—which I have completed and returned—that start moving me towards going to NAMI at NAS Pensacola next month for my flight physical. (Yes, I'll translate that.) NAMI is the Naval Aerospace Medical Institute, located on Naval Air Station Pensacola, and is the "sole Navy source for Aeromedical training at all levels". According to this Welcome Aboard package I found here, NAMI does all flight physicals for the Navy and Marine Corps (of course) as well as training for Army aeromedical personnel and even many foreign nations' physicians, too.

There's a really cool video about what NAMI does at this page. (Pardon their SharePoint site!)


NAMI Details
The trip will be 10-13 APR 2011.

Preparations
  1. No alcohol or tobacco use 72 hours prior to the physical.
  2. No eating or drinking (except water) after 1900 of the day prior to the physical.
  3. Remove any contact lenses 24 hours prior to arrival.
  4. No PT or otherwise strenuous activites 5 days prior to physical.
  5. Verify travel arrangements have been paid for before departure date.
In normal DOD fashion, as my friend Drew H. forewarned me (he is a civilian working for the Navy), I will have to pay everything up front and will then be reimbursed afterwards.

Schedule

Day 1.
  • The candidates will be picked up in the lobby of the Navy Gateway Inn and Suites at 0645. Candidates should be dressed in PT gear for Physical exams portion of the flight physical.
  • Physical exams portion commences at 0700 at NAMI clinic and will consist of the following;
    • Eye Exam
    • Urinalysis
    • EKG
    • Vitals
    • Blood work
    • Audiogram
    • X-ray
    • Review/Interview with flight surgeon
  • Physical exams are usually done by 1200. The afternoon is reserved for individual appointments.
Day 2.
  • Candidates will be picked up in PT gear at same location as on Day 1 at 0745. Anthropedic Measurements will proceed at 0800 at API.
  • Candidates will be transported to NATTC Dental Clinic for 1130 Dental exam.
  • Dental exams are usually done by 1500 and candidates are returned to the hotel.
Day 3.
  • Any additional appointment will be completed and candidates will be returned to the airport at predetermined time made on Day 2.


Unknowns
In previous conversation, OSO told me that I need to pass the PFT so I can go under contract before NAMI. He hasn't mentioned that in our conversations today. I will have to inquire about that, but I bet it hasn't changed. I'm already scheduled to see him on 26 MAR 2011 for a gathering of all state-wide candidates and applicants which will include a trail run through Fort Benjamin Harrison, so perhaps he will have me do it then. Or I may have to make a special trip to the OSO station. We'll see.

(That reminds me: I attended another state-wide a couple weekends ago. I typed up a blog about it but only saved it as a draft and totally forgot about it until I started composing this one. I'll go back and post that, too.)


Update on my PFT scores

Run
I've started running slightly longer distances lately—4 miles in 32m (3.7 + 0.3), 5.13 miles in 47m (details), and 4.89 miles in 42m (details). Doing the longer runs definitely makes 3 miles not seem so daunting and boosts my confidence on getting a good score on the 3 mile run for the PFT. But if you check those longer runs, the closest I came was 24:02 at the 3-mile mark. Gotta get faster. I will.

Pullups
I can do 14. Would like to do 20 by the time I do the PFT for a high score to go on my application for OCS. As it is, should be a good-enough score to get me under contract.

Crunches
100 crunches are a given. Pretty much everybody gets a perfect score on this section. The only question is, "How fast can you complete all 100?" I did 'em in about a minute once. I've heard of others doing all 100 in under 50 seconds.

Update: I did check with OSO about when I'll be taking the PFT and going under contract. That will be after NAMI.

Allen, out.

5 comments:

  1. Caleb-I am so excited for you! kick butt Traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. yo, i just found your cite here randomly but im in the same boat you are right now. I'm going to Pcola this coming Sunday, and the other guy in my group went down last week. Where are you located?

    BF

    ReplyDelete
  3. BF,

    Sorry for the *extremely* late reply… I'm located in Indiana, so my OSO is in Indianapolis. You?

    Shoot, you may have even been selected already.

    Caleb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for posting your journey into and through the marines. This is so helpful to me as I am about to go to my flight physical the end of January. Thanks again for helping out fellow aviators and marines in our journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. any info. on the anthropometric requirements? Candidate just a little bit under 5'2".

    ReplyDelete

Due to the number of spam comments that were being posted, users are now required to be logged in before leaving a comment.