20091205

Pre-OCS Physical Fitness Program

Intro
Six days ago I began my last quarter of undergraduate studies at Rose-Hulman. Each day, I have made time to hit the gym, lifting weights, cycling, and running on a treadmill, albeit without a specific routine. I've been looking for a good routine to help me prepare for OCS, but most I found assumed I was already somewhat close to PFT standards and only needed to improve a bit. I finally found one that claims I can start now, at my present state of physical (non)fitness.

The full program can be read here.

More after the break.

UPDATE: Calendar added
I have created a public calendar for all the exercises I will be doing over the next 12 weeks. Click here to subscribe or click here to view it online.



Program Overview
This is a 90-day / 12-week program that is designed to steadily build candidates up to PFT standards. Each week includes 2 runs and 2 circuit sessions interrupted by 3 days of rest. A circuit session means doing the circuit 2-4 times with 90-120 seconds rest between, as prescribed for the current week. In a circuit, ten repetitions of each of the following exercises — except for pull ups, which are done to maximum repetitions — are done without breaks between exercises in the order shown:
  • pull ups (outboard),
  • crunches,
  • bends and thrusts,
  • push ups,
  • frog sit ups,
  • star jumps,
  • diamond push ups,
  • sit ups with a twist, and
  • plyometric jumps.

The descriptions of the exercises, with video demonstrations, can be found here.
Refer to the full program description, linked above, for the weekly specifications.


Implementation
I will likely do the runs on a treadmill in an effort to ensure I achieve and maintain the required pace and distance. I'm not sure about all the circuit exercises. I will have to scope out the SRC to make sure that there is a place for each one, but I expect there will be.


Notes
Since a treadmill displays pace in miles per hour, these conversions are helpful:
8.5 minutes per mile = 7.05882353 mph
8.0 minutes per mile = 7.5 mph
7.5 minutes per mile = 8.0 mph
The 8 mph pace earns a candidate 73/100 points on the PFT.
A pace of 10 mph (6 minutes per mile) is required for full points.

The male USMC PFT consists of pull ups (either inboard or outboard), crunches, and a 3-mile run. A candidate must complete a minimum of 10 dead hang pull ups, earning 5 points apiece, up to a maximum of 20. There is no time limit for this section. Next, each crunch earns a single point, and the candidate must complete a minimum 70, maximum 100, in 2 minutes. Finally, the run must be completed in less than 24 minutes. Scoring is unique, however, in that no points are earned; instead, for every 10 seconds past the 18:00 mark, 1 point is deducted. A perfect PFT score is 300 points.

To calculate your own PFT score, try one of the following options:
flash-based web calculator;
downloadable Windows-only executable;
a chart.
To apply to be a Marine officer, a candidate must earn a score of 225 or better.


Caleb, out.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you!
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Achieving your lifelong dream will be worth the discipline and any obstacles along the way.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the number of spam comments that were being posted, users are now required to be logged in before leaving a comment.